I develop a liking for cold noodles years back when I first tried it at a vegetarian eatery near my working place. Was skeptical at first, cold dish? All vegetables? But my doubt disappeared when I took my first bite! Oh my, it was delish! I had savoured it frequently with my then colleagues now turned
aunty buddies during lunch. We would call the cafe hotline to find out the daily menu (and yes, their lunch menu changes daily) and we would make our dash in high heels to the eatery.
I somewhat miss dining there and have not return since I stopped working! Well well, since I had
mastered some tiny cooking skills now….. I tried to recreate my own version of it! Of course it will not be all vegetarian ingredients in the bowl, cos it will not satisfy the carnivores tummies in my family!
Here’s my version of a healthy, yet tasty cold soba noodle recipe! Enjoy and try making it too! Let me know if you love it as much as we do!
Note: This recipe yields 3 bowls of soba noodles.
1 packet Soba noodles (any type is fine, i use green tea soba)
1 1/2 Japanese cucumber
3 stalks Spring onions
Handful of bean sprouts
200g Chicken breast meat
8 tbsp Sesame sauce
3 tbsp Sesame oil
1 tbsp Black sesame seeds
1 tbsp Vinegar
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Salt
1. Boil the following till cooked –
Soba noodles, carrot, bean sprouts, prawns, chicken breast meat, eggs. Set aside.
2. Drained water from soba noodles and set aside in fridge.
3. Chopped spring onions, set aside.
4. Slice Japanese cucumber, set aside.
Prepare cooked the ingredients :
5. Sliced carrots, set aside.
6. Shred the chicken meat and marinate with 1 tbsp sesame oil and black pepper. Set aside.
7. Marinate the beansprouts with 1 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tsp salt. Set aside.
8. Peel hard-boiled eggs and cut into half. Set aside.
9. Slice prawns in half. Set aside.
Prepare cold noodle sauce:
10. Mix sesame sauce with vinegar, 1 tbsp sesame oil and 1/2 cup water. Set aside in fridge.
Note: You may choose to prepare all the above in advance and keep them in the fridge (cling wrapped or in airtight container) if it is not serve immediately.
To serve :
1. Put cold soba noodles in a bowl.
2. Place and arrange all cooked ingredients neatly onto cold soba noodle.
3. Drizzle pre-prepared cold soba sesame sauce onto noodles.
4. Sprinkle spring onions and black sesame into bowl.
5. Serve immediately. Mix ingredients in bowl and enjoy!:)